SkiA Sweetspot Ski Trainer
What makes you a better skier?
Most people would answer with getting in better shape, strength training, taking lessons, quality equipment, or practice.
All of those are good (and true) answers, but one that you typically don’t hear is balance.
Yet, if you think about it, good balance is key whether you’re a black diamond or a casual green run type of skier.
Achieving better skiing balance
We recently tried out the SkiA Sweetspot Ski Trainer which is designed to “train balance skills centered on exactly the right place – the sweetspot.”
The SkiA is basically a series of blocks you attach to the bottom of your ski boots that are used on dry land to improve your balance when you hit the slopes.
Setting up the SkiA
The SkiA comes with 4 different sizes of balancing blocks and the trainer.
You start by sizing the trainer to your boot while it is off – very simple.
Next, you slip the block on the bottom of the trainer.
Last, you put your boots on and clamp the trainer tight.
Using the SkiA trainer
I tried the SkiA out in our living room, placing a small rug on the hardwoods to prevent any scratches and to keep from sliding.
Starting with the biggest green block, SkiA recommends training in 10-minute increments and as you get better, progressing through the blocks -> green -> blue -> red -> black.
The green is much easier than the black, so no need to worry about plateauing.
The SkiA system comes with a training guide that has recommended movements for training, but once you put it on and simulate a ski position, it is pretty self-evident what you need to work on.
The Bums take
- Sometimes some of the most effective things are rather simple. That pretty much sums up the SkiA.
- It is harder than you think it will be – especially as you move through the blocks.
- Should be a perfect addition to ski conditioning prep for those planning an annual ski trip. It simulates being on skis, can be used in your living room & isn’t costly.
- I ended up putting them on an old pair of ski boots, so I’m always ready for a quick 10 minute workout.
- I plan to add this to my fall ski conditioning training each year.
The SkiA Sweetspot Ski Trainer
The SkiA can be purchased for £45 (about US$70) and according to their website, shipping is available to 62 countries.
Learn more on the SkiA Sweetspot Ski Trainer website.
Article by Kim Hull
|Photography and/or videography may not be used without explicit permission.|
|Connect with Kim:|